Comprehensive Lobbying and Source of Funding Regulations
The Joint Commission on Public Ethics (“Commission”) has submitted Notices of Proposed Rulemaking for Part 938 (Source of Funding Disclosure regulations) and Part 943 (a set of comprehensive lobbying regulations)
If adopted, Part 943 will mark the first time that existing guidelines and decades of advisory opinions will be compiled in one place in New York. It will provide a “one-stop shop” for information about the rules and requirements associated with lobbying in New York. Designed to close loopholes that have evolved over time, the regulations will capture more and better information about the targets of lobbying activities and the real clients of lobbyists.
The regulations take into account the use of ever-changing technology in conducting lobbying campaigns. They also streamline reporting requirements, providing more clarity about the requirements related to consultants, grassroots lobbying, sources of funding, and the use of new media for lobbying purposes.
In Part 938, the Commission seeks to amend its source of funding regulations to coincide and be consistent with the comprehensive lobbying regulations and current statutory provisions.
The Commission will conduct a public hearing on both Notices in Hearing Room A of the Legislative Office Building, 198 State Street (corner of South Swan Street) in Albany on October 30, 2017 from 1 – 4 p.m. More information on that hearing can be found here.
- Greenberg Traurig (Part 943)
- Reinvent Albany (Parts 943 and 938)
- David Grandeau and Associates (Part 943)
- New York Health Plan Association (Part 943)
- Lawyers Alliance for New York/Nonprofit Coordinating Committee of New York/The New York Legal Services Coalition (Part 943)
- Shenker Russo & Clark (Part 943)
- Commission on Independent Colleges and Universities in New York (CICU) (Part 943)
- Business Council of New York State (Part 943)
- Business Council of New York State (Part 938)
- Big I of New York (Independent Insurance Agents & Brokers of NY) (Part 943)
- Scenic Hudson (Part 943)
- SEIU 32BJ (Part 943)
- New York Civil Liberties Union (NYCLU) (Part 943)
- New York Public Interest Research Group (NYPIRG) (Part 943)
The Commission has been seeking comment and input from the lobbying community and other concerned members of the public since the Commission first published staff proposals on its website in October 2016. To view the previous staff proposal of the regulations, prior public comments, and a video of a December 7, 2016 public hearing in New York City on the earlier proposal, click here.