The Online Ethics Orientation (OEO) is the first ethics class required for new FDS filers. This online ethics training video provides a brief overview of the following subject areas:
- JCOPE Overview: General information about the New York State Joint Commission on Public Ethics (JCOPE)
- Chapter 1: Public Officers Law §73-a: Familiarize yourself with the requirements for filing an annual Financial Disclosure Statement and mandated ethics training.
- Chapter 2: Public Officers Law §74: Understand the general ethical standards of conduct that apply to all State Officers and Employees.
- Chapter 3: Public Officers Law §73: Topics include restrictions and procedures related to outside employment and professional activities, political activities, nepotism, gifts, honoraria, travel, and job opportunities after separation from State service.
- Chapter 4: Civil Service Law §107: Also known as the "Little Hatch Act," this law places restrictions on certain political activities in the work place.
The Online Ethics Orientation video training will take approximately 40 minutes to complete.
Who is required to complete the OEO?
State officers and employees who are required to file an Annual Statement of Financial Disclosure ("FDS") must complete the OEO within three months of becoming subject to the FDS filing requirement, unless they complete the CETC within that time. See Executive Law §94(10)(b).
Filers who are designated as policymakers, academic filers, or threshold filers are all required to take the OEO.
FDS Filers who are exempted from the requirement to file an FDS are not required to take the OEO.
Completion and Compliance
After viewing the complete training video, please follow the instructions given in the training video to notify your Agency Ethics Officer and receive credit for completing this course.
For additional questions on the OEO, please contact the JCOPE Education Training Team.
Online Ethics Orientation Training Video
A comprehensive overview of the Public Officers Law and other related ethics laws, presented in a plain language format. This publication is also used as the participant guide for FDS filers required to attend mandatory ethics trainings. An excellent resource for those entering State service for the first time. Revised 8/26/2019
Contact JCOPE Education Team
Contact the JCOPE Education team for information regarding the mandatory ethics training requirements for State employees, and individuals registered as lobbyists.